September 19, 2019, 10:21:19 PM

Author Topic: Barry v Alonso  (Read 6140 times)

Hop

Re: Barry v Alonso
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 12:10:30 PM »
20M for Barry?  I hope not, but I think Barry will come because of his relationship with Gerrard as much as anything.  Someone else said Lassana Diarra might be a better buy at around 12M, or maybe in a deal involving Peter Crouch, and I'm inclined to agree.

I'd still go for Barry at 15M though.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 04:12:40 PM »
I doubt Villa are realistically expecting £20M for Barry. There are no other clubs interested or at least interested enough to actually table a bid. I think £15M will end up being enough to get him (whether that represents good value is another matter) but Villa need to at least be seen to be doing everything to firstly keep their long serving captain and secondly to try to recoup the maximum fee should they end up having to sell.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

I am The Egg Man

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 04:14:18 PM »
I doubt Villa are realistically expecting £20M for Barry. There are no other clubs interested or at least interested enough to actually table a bid. I think £15M will end up being enough to get him (whether that represents good value is another matter) but Villa need to at least be seen to be doing everything to firstly keep their long serving captain and secondly to try to recoup the maximum fee should they end up having to sell.

They are also going to be under pressure to sell now they have bought Sidwell from Chavski, they will have to balance the books.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 08:21:52 PM »
This report from the BBC Football Gossip page hints that the Alonso move might be off...  Xabi Alonso is happy to plan for life at Liverpool next season as his protracted move to Juventus remains in the balance. (Press Association 1751 BST)

With no further news on a new offer for Barry I wonder if things have stalled with Rafa not willing to pay the silly money AV are asking for Barry.  ::)
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 08:44:12 PM »
I'm sure Rafa's initial idea was to tweak the centre of midfield and at the same time raise £3-5M in the process, however with neither Juve or Villa playing ball I think he's now having to re-consider and formulate a plan B, keeping the status quo. Also he could be using the Euros to see if Xabi impresses and attracts interest from any other club which may ultimately yield a higher fee.

Hop

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 04:34:39 AM »
Wishful thinking maybe - in fact probably - but I'm wondering if Xabi talking of staying is an encouraging sign re Senor DV - after all they're all good mates

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 05:44:11 AM »
I'm sure Rafa's initial idea was to tweak the centre of midfield and at the same time raise £3-5M in the process, however with neither Juve or Villa playing ball I think he's now having to re-consider and formulate a plan B, keeping the status quo.
I agree, Tes.

But this is just a back-up plan, which was always gonna be Rafa's safety net.   
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 01:29:25 PM »
Jim that clip still make the hairs on my kneck stand. Its just a pitty if Rafa wants to bring players he'll need to sell the likes of Xabi. Must be tough on Rafa too, but it really does prove how ruthless he will be

PhilLFC

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 10:04:36 AM »
They are also going to be under pressure to sell now they have bought Sidwell from Chavski, they will have to balance the books.
yeah that would be a laugh!! Barry stays and Villa bring in sidwell.... from all the rumours i have heard is that LFC and Villa are sitting down at the table now, a deal i imagine will get done....i have not heard a thing on Dossena, whats happening with him??? anyone know

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 10:51:44 AM »
I thought he'd flown in a week or two back and had his medical.

I imagine once the transfer window opens on July 1st, we will see these transfers being officially announced.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 10:52:18 AM »
yeah that would be a laugh!! Barry stays and Villa bring in sidwell.... from all the rumours i have heard is that LFC and Villa are sitting down at the table now, a deal i imagine will get done....i have not heard a thing on Dossena, whats happening with him??? anyone know

Didn't he go on his honeymoon last weekend or the weekend before that?
Even "our Rick" couldn't blunder in on Mr and Mrs Dossena's nuptuals.

I am The Egg Man

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 12:03:44 PM »

I heard on Radio city the other day that the deal was done and dusted the signature just needs to go on the contract.

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 05:49:36 PM »
Most contracts seem to begin on July 1st, as far as I know the Dossena deal is done now as much as it can be before July 1st.