August 22, 2019, 08:55:53 AM

Author Topic: Biggest defeat to Man City for 70 years!  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest defeat to Man City for 70 years!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 06:04:32 PM »
Tbh I thought Lucas was fine last night, he's a disciplined and committed player. I don't get it when fans think that a sideways pass that goes 4 feet and reaches a player on the same team is somehow inferior to a 40 yarder that misses its target. Lucas generally does not give the ball away and depending on what's happening in front of him can easily pick a pass. As I understand it the reason Rafa never played Stevie G in the centre is because he is tactically naive in this respect. I'm not denying that Gerrard is a great offensive player and can cover the ground and put in a tackle. But last night we needed to hold on to the ball and be patient with our build up play.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »
if i ay be the first to say - sak roy - end the nightare now

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 07:38:42 PM »
The manager's had little time to assess his squad and to work with them to get his ideas across. The lack of time has only been made worse by the world cup players coming back in dribs and drabs and being unavailable for pre-season workouts. Then we had that moronic international break just before the first league game.

We need to be patient and expect this sort of thing early on. Anything better can then be seen as a bonus.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 08:17:25 PM »
The manager's had little time to assess his squad and to work with them to get his ideas across. The lack of time has only been made worse by the world cup players coming back in dribs and drabs and being unavailable for pre-season workouts. Then we had that moronic international break just before the first league game.

We need to be patient and expect this sort of thing early on. Anything better can then be seen as a bonus.

Tes aside from all the reasons we can give, what has shocked me the most was the tactics.

I just thought it was all very naive and almost amateurish last night.

It was clear we were getting hammered and not to make a substitution until after your 3 nil down with 65 minutes on the board is baffling.

Its only Roys second game but it was a shocker.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 08:20:25 PM »
if i ay be the first to say - sak roy - end the nightare now

Dude your keyboard is making you sound like a Chinese pirate.

I'm not suggesting sack Roy but with regards last night I just felt like saying it as it was because we were so bad.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 04:14:00 AM »
Dude your keyboard is making you sound like a Chinese pirate.

I'm not suggesting sack Roy but with regards last night I just felt like saying it as it was because we were so bad.

sorry i was not replyig to your post Juan (i hadn't een read the posts aboe)

i was nerely getting ny blow in first - sak woy - sak broughton - sak hiks and gillett - sak yossi - sak kuyt - sak nonster - sak santa ----------------- sak the lot

and then dig enn up and resak the lot of thenn

sakings ontinue until both perfornnane and norale innprobes
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

subsy

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »
:)

I thought Ngog underperformed.
I thought GJ was awful.
I thought Jovanovic looked committed, but made too many mistakes.
I thought Lucas looked well out of his depth and constantly in the wrong position.
I thought Agger did ok as a makeshift LB, but clearly wasnt comfortable against Adam Johnson (who went down in my estimation on Monday night - not because of his talent - which is clear, but because of his dodgy gamesmanship attempting to get Skrtel sent off, and starting timewasting with 30 minutes left to play still).
I thought Stevie was trying hard, but clearly wasnt enjoying being bossed in midfield like that.
I was glad Torres got a good run out but dissapointed he didnt get any decent service.

Overall we were well off the pace. Not quick enough to close them down, whilst they were all over us like a rash.

The 442 was at the heart of our problems playing against a very strong City midfield.
But what I cant understand at all, is what worries me most - why when the 442 CLEARLY (to a blind man) wasnt working, did Roy not change it???!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 02:54:08 PM »
Bloody managers, clueless buggers, the lot of them.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 03:41:51 PM »
:)

I thought Ngog underperformed.
I thought GJ was awful.
I thought Jovanovic looked committed, but made too many mistakes.
I thought Lucas looked well out of his depth and constantly in the wrong position.
I thought Agger did ok as a makeshift LB, but clearly wasnt comfortable against Adam Johnson (who went down in my estimation on Monday night - not because of his talent - which is clear, but because of his dodgy gamesmanship attempting to get Skrtel sent off, and starting timewasting with 30 minutes left to play still).
I thought Stevie was trying hard, but clearly wasnt enjoying being bossed in midfield like that.
I was glad Torres got a good run out but dissapointed he didnt get any decent service.

Overall we were well off the pace. Not quick enough to close them down, whilst they were all over us like a rash.

The 442 was at the heart of our problems playing against a very strong City midfield.
But what I cant understand at all, is what worries me most - why when the 442 CLEARLY (to a blind man) wasnt working, did Roy not change it???!

For me that pretty much sums it up perfectly

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »
It's an interesting point about Johnson WTF does he bring to the team....it's beginning to get on my nerves. He raids up the flank, rarely does much and is then caught out of position, but whatever, what really really winds me up is when i see a player whipping one in on his side. I mean it's almost as if blocking a cross is not his responsibility. The problem for me regarding Johnson is that he doesn't seem to have improved or progressed in any sense since he arrived (whereas Lucas has!).

Finnan was no nonsense reasonably solid, defensively and could send in a deep cross from just inside midfield. I'd argue that Finnan was a limited BUT INTELLIGENT player. Johnson appears to have ability but is strangely ineffective.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 07:44:41 PM »
agreed Ed - johnston is useless as a defender (always was)

hek - if we lose nonster and kuyt (and with yossi already gone) we will be well and truly fuked

top 4 ny bottom - we'll be luky to finish in the top 10

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 09:39:22 PM »
Lol, Dude your Kybrd is fcked! I think our team is a few keys short of a working keyboard at the moment!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 09:46:34 PM »
agreed Ed - johnston is useless as a defender (always was)

hek - if we lose nonster and kuyt (and with yossi already gone) we will be well and truly fuked

top 4 ny bottom - we'll be luky to finish in the top 10

Dude, now what was it we were saying at the time we were originally linked with him?  ::)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 01:39:43 AM »
It's an interesting point about Johnson WTF does he bring to the team....it's beginning to get on my nerves. He raids up the flank, rarely does much and is then caught out of position, but whatever, what really really winds me up is when i see a player whipping one in on his side. I mean it's almost as if blocking a cross is not his responsibility. The problem for me regarding Johnson is that he doesn't seem to have improved or progressed in any sense since he arrived (whereas Lucas has!).

Finnan was no nonsense reasonably solid, defensively and could send in a deep cross from just inside midfield. I'd argue that Finnan was a limited BUT INTELLIGENT player. Johnson appears to have ability but is strangely ineffective.

Johnson is proving to be woeful. 18 million at the moment seems like 14 million too much. I'm still hoping he comes good.

As for Lucas the fact that Palermo offered 3 million for him this summer says it all for me, especially consdering we bought him for between 6-8. He is a player with a good attitude and a good work rate but as a central midfielder he is completely limited. He range of passing is poor, his scoring rate is poor, at times his positioning and defensive play can be poor. Last season and the start of this has been terrible because our first 11 and probably our first 15/16 is simply not up to scratch. For me Lucas is one of those not of Liverpool quality.

As for Finnan I thought he was a great player. If he had been English he would have got far more recognition that hes deserved. He could defend, attack and whipped in a quality ball and free kick too. Best right back we've had in years.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 03:12:59 AM »
Lol, Dude your Kybrd is fcked! I think our team is a few keys short of a working keyboard at the moment!

:D

i agree Ed

soe ight argue tho that i was always one key short of a keyboard