September 19, 2019, 10:12:27 PM

Author Topic: Would this team win no.19????  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Would this team win no.19????
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:45:23 AM »
After Villa sounding out Liverpool in the press today, its felt like xmas has come early!! Putting finances and other obstacles aside for a moment is this team good enough to win no. 19?

Reina

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Would this team win no.19????
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 11:48:39 AM »
Reina, Skretel, Carragher, Agger, Dossena. Mascherano, Barry, Kuyt, Gerrard, Villa , Torres.

That looks good enough to me!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 01:10:38 PM »
welcome to the forum!

hard to say how good that team will be.....it will take time to gel. 

But lads like Mascherano, Agger, and Torres are only gonna get better (now that they have settled in).  The future is very bright (apart from Hicks involvement in our club)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

martin

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 02:02:26 PM »
I think it could get close, yeah. I would like to see a bit more width in that midfield though! Substitute Barry with Babel on the left and Kuyt for a right midfielder and it may just be.

The thought of those two up front makes me very, very happy, almost too happy, if you know what I mean?!  :-[ :P

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »
Martin,

I toyed with the idea of Babel in the team. But at this stage i think he lacks an end product. He's going to be a great player i dont doubt that, e.g goals against Derby and Chelsea in particular and his sheer pace/power. But too many times this season he gets in great positions and the final ball let him down. I think Gerrard, Torres, Villa, and Kuyt (given his displays at the Euro's) feeding off Barrys supply would give us an attacking dimension not seen at Anfield since the Liverpool sides of the 80's. ;D ;D

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 02:42:34 PM »
http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?id=11

Guillem Balague at the end says Rafa is planning a nice surprise regarding buying a player.Guillem is rarely wrong and has finger on the pulse! so who is it?

martin

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 04:59:59 PM »
Martin,

I toyed with the idea of Babel in the team. But at this stage i think he lacks an end product. He's going to be a great player i dont doubt that, e.g goals against Derby and Chelsea in particular and his sheer pace/power. But too many times this season he gets in great positions and the final ball let him down. I think Gerrard, Torres, Villa, and Kuyt (given his displays at the Euro's) feeding off Barrys supply would give us an attacking dimension not seen at Anfield since the Liverpool sides of the 80's. ;D ;D

Actually I totally agree with you over Babel, he's definitely all potential at the moment, but what potential!

martin

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 05:13:23 PM »
http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?id=11

Guillem Balague at the end says Rafa is planning a nice surprise regarding buying a player.Guillem is rarely wrong and has finger on the pulse! so who is it?

Great link Kopite999. This view seems to echo the sentiments of our own Jim who has intimated the same kind of thing last week. Does make you wonder doesn't it?!

Jim, care to postulate a few names or clues to the identity? ::)

skippy

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 05:57:28 PM »
Great link and very interesting. Makes you wonder who it is going to be. If it wasn't Villa I wonder who else it could be?

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 07:15:11 PM »
Breaking bentley news is interesting. sounds like he's being pursued by someone in the top 4 to come out like that. not sure about him myself. looked good at anfield this season but unsure if he's good enough for us. i'd personally go all out for Villa and even sacrifice a another potential signing to get him.

Back to Bentley though i'd be surprised if Man U or Chelsea want him having the players they have in his position. I dont think he'd go back to Arsenal. Which leaves ourselves?Him coming out and saying he wants to leave will certainly bring the asking price down

I am The Egg Man

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 07:19:05 PM »
Breaking bentley news is interesting. sounds like he's being pursued by someone in the top 4 to come out like that. not sure about him myself. looked good at anfield this season but unsure if he's good enough for us. i'd personally go all out for Villa and even sacrifice a another potential signing to get him.

Back to Bentley though i'd be surprised if Man U or Chelsea want him having the players they have in his position. I dont think he'd go back to Arsenal. Which leaves ourselves?Him coming out and saying he wants to leave will certainly bring the asking price down

It was in the Echo a few weeks ago that LFC confirmed that they were not interested in signing Bentely.  I would not mind him coming to LFC to play on the right wing, I think he would have a positive impact on the team,

martin

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 10:04:08 PM »
At the right price Bentley would make a good addition to the 1st team, would still rather have Villa tho!... however if we had both??? :o

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 11:15:46 PM »
I don't think there's anything at all now in us looking at Bentley, if anything I think he's looking at joining Hughes at City.

As for David Villa, I was very surprised when Tony Barret denied any interest from us. Very surprised.

To recap what he wrote: "Villa talk so wide of mark. THE best unfounded rumour of the close season so far is that Liverpool have done a deal to sign Valencia’s David Villa.

Looks like Villa is destined to be this summer’s Thierry Henry. Only a matter of time before he’s spotted looking for a house in Formby or looking for bargains in Great Homer Street market then."

The first part might be cleverly worded - a deal could be done subject to a post-Euro-2008 medical and it wouldn't be wrong. But the second part reminds us of those Zinedine Zidane stories over the years.

TB's denial would normally be enough for me to dismiss it all myself, but with where I first heard this from, a good few weeks ago, I get the feeling TB might just be trying to keep others off the scent.

I hope so - but I refuse to raise my hopes for now!

martin

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 11:58:23 PM »

...with where I first heard this from, a good few weeks ago, I get the feeling TB might just be trying to keep others off the scent.

If that person was Rafa Benitez we're all set!  ;) :P

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 10:04:49 AM »
If that person was Rafa Benitez we're all set!  ;) :P

Rafa and I have a "no transfer talk" rule when we meet for one of our regular rounds of golf.