November 19, 2019, 12:00:48 AM

Poll

What should be their priorities

Improve the squad with a big name striker in January
Change the manager as soon as practical
Announce stadium redevelopment plans
Other (please give details in post)

Author Topic: Our new owners - what are their priorities  (Read 11459 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Our new owners - what are their priorities
« on: October 15, 2010, 06:07:48 PM »
The club now enters an exciting new period in its long history. What do you think should be the owners top priority?

I'll start things off by voting for a new top notch striker. But it's a close thing with a new manager. Stadium plans are important but can wait a few months as it will take time for a full analysis to be completed.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Our new owners - what are their priorities
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »
I think the correct board setup has to be paramount. If the last three years has taught us anything, and we look at the Mancs pre-Glazers, Arsenal now and us pre-Moores, everything stems from the top. Strong leadership, direction and purpose in the boardroom and management of the club is going to be vital to deal with the challenges we face if we are to give ourselves a chance of re-establishing ourselves in the upper tier of domestic and European football.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 07:42:40 PM »
Thank the lord, Hicks and Gillette have gone....i'm elated to be honest...
John Henry seemed utterly non plussed by the threat and bluster of the 1billion compensation claim from the 2 yankee scum...saw him say 'why stop at 1 billion? Why not more?'...so he's not bothered...everything must be pretty watertight legally...and hopefully gilette and hicks lose even more money in their hysterical litigation in the coming months...
hopefully both the 2 yankee scum will be spat at worldwide by liverpool supporters for their rest their live carcasses rot on this beautiful earth...they've well and truly deserved that...

and finally to football...Henry seems a smart cookie...so the stadium will be first and foremost on his mind...and as Tes said a strong board will be essential...the arsenal way is the obvious business model to follow...their 350 mil profit this year says it all...even if henry takes a 100 mil a year thats still 250 for the running of the club...in 3 years he would have got his money back...

On roy's mind will be the matches upto xmas...if there is a significant improvement he will stay...if its scraping through games and looking out of his depth then he'll be gone...

Roy must know he's also at 3rd strike, time to go for wins rather than settle for not losing...play Babel where he wants...let's see Pacheco have a run out for a while...play players in the positions they prefer....drop names if needs must...be brave...if Roy isn't then he's gone...

In january....we need a good striker...one who can put the ball in the net...not one who might be good in a couple of years...or plays on confidence...then we need to strengthen throughout the team...

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 01:18:20 AM »
I do think as Tes says the board setup is important but I think Henry may take a while to get a feel for things before making any major decisions there. Listening to Broughton I got the impression he could be persuaded to stay on but that could have been a sort of emotion in such a momentous moment. For me the most important thing now is team. Hes got to decide soon if Roys up to the job and if Henry doesnt think so make a change. Now that the takeover is behind us this season can be salvaged and with a bit of investment in January we can make a charge up the league. But only with the right man in charge.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 11:53:53 AM »
I do think as Tes says the board setup is important but I think Henry may take a while to get a feel for things before making any major decisions there. Listening to Broughton I got the impression he could be persuaded to stay on but that could have been a sort of emotion in such a momentous moment. For me the most important thing now is team. Hes got to decide soon if Roys up to the job and if Henry doesnt think so make a change. Now that the takeover is behind us this season can be salvaged and with a bit of investment in January we can make a charge up the league. But only with the right man in charge.

Does Henry or the other members of the NESV board have the required knowledge to judge what the problems are and what/who is the solution? He needs to take advice (something he seems very willing to do, luckily) and act quickly a decisively.
Are we looking long term or do we look to salvage this season, try and obtain European football for next season and look to implement a longer term strategy in the Summer.
The January market is always weak. Players are cup tied, at least for European competition and clubs are loathed to lose players mid-season who may not get replaced in the same window. Value for money is always as obtainable as in the longer Summer window either.

Ask Kenny, I bet he's still got Pelligrini's number.  ;D

buck

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 12:59:35 PM »
Depending on how things go this weekend on the pitch, it may be the manager issues will be the first thing to be resolved.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »
Depending on how things go this weekend on the pitch, it may be the manager issues will be the first thing to be resolved.

I voted for a new man at the helm.  I just don't see Woy as our manager.  He's a nice guy but I just feel he's out of his depth at Liverpool and is bringing a small club mentality with him. 

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 09:34:36 PM »
I voted for a new man at the helm.  I just don't see Woy as our manager.  He's a nice guy but I just feel he's out of his depth at Liverpool and is bringing a small club mentality with him.

Talking of small clubs, will Woy be happy with a Derby draw tomorrow, or does he try to impress his new paymasters by (whispers it) going for a win?

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 07:08:04 PM »
I'm changing my vote. I now believe we should look for a new manager so that come January he can buy players that will hopefully restore our form. I'm not sure I would trust Roy especially as I don't think he's going to be here in a season or two (and probably a lot less).
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 07:50:25 PM »
As far as squad trimming goes, sorting out the back-4 is our top priority. It's criminally poor to be honest with Agger being the only CB with an ounce of quality in him. It doesn't explain it all but a major reason ManU won it 3 years on the trot was the fantastic back-4. I think they had something like 11 or 12 1-0 wins during the 2008-09 season. I'd say a strong back line is a prerequisite for Gerrard to perform to his true level. It would do so much for our offensive game if the midfielders/strikers knew making a mistake wouldn't result in conceding a  goal. Then, of course, there is that small detail of finally bringing in some quality replacement for our main striker. A detail our previous manager successfully dodged for 6 years.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 08:15:37 PM »
As far as squad trimming goes, sorting out the back-4 is our top priority. It's criminally poor to be honest with Agger being the only CB with an ounce of quality in him. It doesn't explain it all but a major reason ManU won it 3 years on the trot was the fantastic back-4. I think they had something like 11 or 12 1-0 wins during the 2008-09 season. I'd say a strong back line is a prerequisite for Gerrard to perform to his true level. It would do so much for our offensive game if the midfielders/strikers knew making a mistake wouldn't result in conceding a  goal. Then, of course, there is that small detail of finally bringing in some quality replacement for our main striker. A detail our previous manager successfully dodged for 6 years.

Good shout re the centre backs. Since before Sami left and definately since, it's been to easy to make a case against each of them, Agger included due to his injury problems.
A strong defence helps breed confidence through the whole team.

Martin, who would you be looking at as cover/competition for Nando?

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 08:21:15 PM »
You know Tes, I'm in the business of criticising, not being constructive. ;) Seriously tho, I may sound totally lost but I like Darren Bent.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 08:32:14 PM »
You know Tes, I'm in the business of criticising, not being constructive. ;) Seriously tho, I may sound totally lost but I like Darren Bent.

I've thrown his name in a few times over the past couple of seasons. I know most people on other forums produce the standard 'he's not a Liverpool player' cr@p. He may not be a world beater, but the guy scores goals.
He has pace, can play up front on his own, puts in a defensive shift.
I know he could never hold down a regular starting place at Spurs, but despite that, his goals to games ratio was still very impressive, appearing to prove that he doesn't need a run of games to play himself into goalscoring form when called upon. Always a handy quality to have in a striker.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 08:58:45 PM »
Yeapp, that sure wouldn't go amiss as far as I'm concerned. Off to bed. Good night!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 03:32:29 PM »
If they didn't before, they now need to get a new MD/CEO:

Christian Purslow stands down as Liverpool FC managing director

LIVERPOOL FC Managing Director Chistian Purslow has stepped down from the Anfield board.

The former city private equity banker will however stay on in a non-executive role as special advisor to the club.

The announcement comes less than a week after he helped Chairman Martin Broughton and Commerical Director Ian Ayre remove former American co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett from the club.

New owners New England Sports Ventures took over after a series of dramatic court battles.

Liverpool FC issued a statement this afternoon saying: "Liverpool FC confirms that following the successful sale of the Club, Christian Purslow has decided to stand down from his temporary position as Managing Director.

"Christian will remain as a Non Executive Director and will act as a Special Adviser to the new Owners."

New England Sports Ventures Chairman Tom Werner said: “We are delighted Christian has accepted our offer to help us and the Club, given his great experience and love for Liverpool FC.

"We will now begin a global search process for a Chief Executive Officer.”

Purslow, who founded Mid-Ocean Partners, said today: "I came to LFC to lead the Club through a sale process to get the best overall deal including, vitally, the removal of the debt.

"I am immensely proud of what we have all achieved.

"I now look forward to assisting the Owners in any way I can at this exciting time as they drive the Club forward to a bright future."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/10/20/christian-purslow-stands-down-as-liverpool-fc-managing-director-100252-27512167/