November 24, 2017, 06:08:54 PM

Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 12493 times)

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
Introduce yourself
« on: May 19, 2008, 08:05:13 PM »
Entirely optional, but this would be a good place to introduce yourself!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 11:42:53 PM »
great to see you took all our advice Jim, and put a forum up!

You'll maybe recall my old handle on your blog, toshackrises.

I have been a Liverpool fan since the 70s.  I saw my first game at Anfield in 1979 or 1980 (so it says in the diary.....Liverpool v WBA).

the dude abides

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:45:27 AM »
great to see you took all our advice Jim, and put a forum up!

You'll maybe recall my old handle on your blog, toshackrises.

I have been a Liverpool fan since the 70s.  I saw my first game at Anfield in 1979 or 1980 (so it says in the diary.....Liverpool v WBA).

the dude abides

Good to have you here, you certainly helped give me the initial kick to look into this forum, and I think it was you who recommended SMF too wasn't it?

This is a good site for finding out when old games happened.
http://lfchistory.net/seasongames.asp?Season_id=20
http://lfchistory.net/seasongames.asp?Season_id=21

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 11:12:37 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, Jim.  Yes, I was always encouraging you in the blog, to go with a forum....and yes I highly recommended SMF. 

I have tried just about every board over the years (both setting up/maintaining, and using) and SMF is by far the best free forum script for a big board (while Vanilla, again an open source script, is my top choice for a small board).

I haven't much experience of this new version of SMF (I know it is only in beta as yet). 

BTW RAWK uses SMF and it is one of the biggest Liverpool forums in the world.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Kingjari

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 07:59:08 PM »
Hello Jim and other forum members.

I'm 30 years old, been a liverpool supporter for 22 years. I'm a seasie holder and a member of the Liverpool Supporters Union. I'm also a wool from north west wales. I've always enjoyed your writing Jim, as i've discussed with you previously I was a little disappointed with what I percieved was a pro Hicks bias in your articles of late. It seems that isn't the case so much judging by your recent articles though. I just wish you would cover the Unions activities more in your articles, why are you reluctant to do so ?

I guess I'll be an infrequent visitor here but good luck with the forum all the same.

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 10:17:07 AM »
Dude - the fact RAWK use SMF was part of the decision, and I've seen it used well on other high-volume forums, it seems to be the most "professional" of the free scripts out there. PHPBB isn't bad, but has a reputation for being easily hacked.

Kingjari - Thanks for that!

I understand what you're saying, and you're not the first. I think most of the time what I've said has been to question the "facts" we're fed in the media, and the "facts" people leave as comments on the blog. I've done the same on other LFC forums and often got the same response.

The problem is that most of these "facts" are (for want of a better way of putting it) anti-Hicks, pro-Dubai. This means that when I go to check a "fact", and then write about how the "fact" is wrong or maybe exaggerated, it means by default my words seem to defend Hicks and attack Dubai.

I'll not go on too long about it now, but too many attacks on Hicks are based on false information, or even on "promises" that were actually from Gillett. (Generalising here) people tend to gloss over any worries about Dubai, and sensationalise the slightest little thing about Hicks. I'd rather we tried to see the whole picture, base our feelings on as much of the truth as we possibly can. I hate the way LFC and LFC fans are often misrepresented in the press, and how that's been the case for years, and I don't feel comfortable with us doing the same to Hicks.

I've spoken to the union about my concerns, and it's all constructive criticism really. I think if I went into it too much on here it would be seen as undermining them though, and I don't want to do that. I won't support a campaign if I'm against it (I wasn't keen on the shovel-in-the-ground campaign for instance, for a number of reasons) but I don't want to make a fuss by writing an article about why I wasn't keen on the campaign. It's just my opinion. Basically I don't want to promote a campaign if a lot of what it says is either inaccurate, or full of spin. But that's my opinion.

I want the union to succeed.

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 10:59:01 AM »
Just realised that starting a post with "Dude" makes me sound like Bill or Ted.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 01:20:42 PM »
Dude - the fact RAWK use SMF was part of the decision, and I've seen it used well on other high-volume forums, it seems to be the most "professional" of the free scripts out there. PHPBB isn't bad, but has a reputation for being easily hacked.
yes, the fact that SMF ran so well on a high volume forum like RAWK really impressed me as well. 

As for PhpBB, it's best to stay away.  I am a member of one forum (a commerical wordpress theme forum) and they have been looking to move away from PhpBB.   They have been asking everyone for their advice and recommendations, re a better forum script.  It just isn't a very good script (compared to SMF).  You made a great choice.  Good luck with the forum. 

PS - I have sent this url to three of my friends (who are big Liverpool fans, and who chat in another big forum). 

Kingjari

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »
I appreciate your reply Jim. thank you.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 04:04:46 PM »
Just realised that starting a post with "Dude" makes me sound like Bill or Ted.
:D  I missed this post when i was reading the thread earlier.

if you're not into the whole brevity thing, then I guess you could use, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino.

dude suffices tho.

I wish I had signed up without the underscores between the names in my handle. 

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 05:30:48 PM »
:D  I missed this post when i was reading the thread earlier.

if you're not into the whole brevity thing, then I guess you could use, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino.

dude suffices tho.

I wish I had signed up without the underscores between the names in my handle. 

I can try and change it if you like, let me know...

skippy

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 01:22:50 PM »
Excellent work Jim.Thanks for doing a forum much appreciated  ;D ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 08:03:38 PM »
I can try and change it if you like, let me know...
Please do change it, if possible. Many thanks.

I changed one or two folks handles in the old version of SMF.....do-able in their account settings.

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 09:22:42 PM »
Please do change it, if possible. Many thanks.

I changed one or two folks handles in the old version of SMF.....do-able in their account settings.

Looks like it worked!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 09:44:16 PM »
yeee-haaaaaa!!

Many thanks, Jim.