September 22, 2020, 03:09:34 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 199392 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #240 on: November 14, 2010, 08:31:53 AM »
Sean O'Driscoll has Doncaster Rovers excelling whilst playing some fantastic football. And unlike Halmstads, they haven't gone two years without winning away.  :D

honestly......truth be told, I thought (like Clem) that you were referring to an irish rugby player.

I googled for wikipedia last night, with o'driscoll and rugby

:D

PS - I am still up, Saturday night (drinking beer and wine here, 4.30am in central america.............my cat laying sleeping beside me here on the bed......darkness, but for light of thelaptop, and thetv in the corner)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 14, 2010, 08:36:30 AM »
i think Torres and Gerrard and on certain days Carra can be primadonna's...there is a fine line between wanting to win and losing faith with a manager.

I agree, barticus.

carra is well past his sell by date..........but if it came to a war, I'd want Carra fighting beside me in the trenches.

I sadly can't say the same for Torres or Captain Marvel. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Redman

• Settling in
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 14, 2010, 08:46:47 AM »
God that was dire yesterday  >:( I wanted to run over and put my foot thru the tv and that was only in the 1st half, if I see Roy chin scratching again I swear I'll put him on my stab list  ;)
Just to point out I only read the threads from the previous page and someone mentioned Roy Evans as a stop gap, well in case people have forgotten here's a little fact, when Roy was manager we never finished outside the top 4 and as someone else mentioned he just couldn't find a decent defence with a map, which was a pity
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”

Nikola Tesla

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 14, 2010, 09:15:14 AM »
God that was dire yesterday  >:( I wanted to run over and put my foot thru the tv and that was only in the 1st half, if I see Roy chin scratching again I swear I'll put him on my stab list  ;)
Just to point out I only read the threads from the previous page and someone mentioned Roy Evans as a stop gap, well in case people have forgotten here's a little fact, when Roy was manager we never finished outside the top 4 and as someone else mentioned he just couldn't find a decent defence with a map, which was a pity

Redman, that was always the odd thing with Roy Evans, especially as he was a left back before injury cut short his career. What's your view of Phil Thompson as a stop gap 'til the Summer, as mentioned in this thread?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Redman

• Settling in
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 14, 2010, 09:24:33 AM »
I don't think that would be a bad option either, remember Phil was in charge for most of the season when Hulahoop fell ill, we finished that season with our highest ever points tally in the Premiership if I'm not mistaken, well up until Rafa arrived  ;D He's Liverpool thru and thru, only downside is will the players take to him, remember the falling out with Fowler during the training ground incident and Fowler was shipped out.
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”

Nikola Tesla

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 14, 2010, 09:37:42 AM »
I don't think that would be a bad option either, remember Phil was in charge for most of the season when Hulahoop fell ill, we finished that season with our highest ever points tally in the Premiership if I'm not mistaken, well up until Rafa arrived  ;D He's Liverpool thru and thru, only downside is will the players take to him, remember the falling out with Fowler during the training ground incident and Fowler was shipped out.

phil would be a good care-taker, til the summer.

as for robbie........robbie (tho I loved him in those early years) could be a bit of a tit.....not unlike his mate, mcmananamananamman.

phil is a top bloke.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 14, 2010, 09:41:23 AM »

Hopefully being older, he'll have mellowed and learned from his previous experience. 

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 14, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »
Motivation is down to the manager, you can blame rafa all you want, but 7 of the players yesterday were in the squad that thrashed manure 4-1 less than 2 years ago...on that day the players responded to Rafa and trusted him...the 7 who played yesterday didn't respond to the current manager...

During Rafa's 6 years we had a 3 and a half month spell where we played to our absolute maximum. During that spell we beat ManU 4-1. Chosing that game as being representative for the level we played to under Rafa ain't just dishonest, it's incorrect. 

Drive and determination in players is a must and that i think Torres and Gerrard and on certain days Carra can be primadonna's...there is a fine line between wanting to win and losing faith with a manager...they began to show distrust in the last 6 months of Rafa's reign...that they are already doing the same with Roy says it all...

This is more like it. I think you're making a very valid point and as far as my criticism of Roy goes I am disappointed that he hasn't managed to instill more passion and fighting spirit in the squad.

On a more general note I would say the main reason to our failure this season is our reluctance to realise how good, or poor, we really are. Yesterday's game, just like the derby, was all about passion and fighting spirit. ManU and Chelsea manage to tackle these situations and teams by relying on the quality they possess. That, in turn, allows them to stick to their gameplan. We do not have the same quality in the squad yet we turn up with the idea we're such a good team some old pass'n move footy will secure us the points. That's delusional to say the least.

It's easy really, we're a mediocre team. That means, on our day we can play very good football against the best sides as our win against Chelsea is evidence of. It also means we aren't that much better, or have that much better player than most of the team we face during the course of a season. In those games opponents will, just like Stoke and Everton, rely on passion and fighting spirit. We need to learn to play the same way as they do. Only then will we give ourselves a genuine chance to pick up maximum points.

That won't happen tho with the large number of overpaid primadonnas populating our squad. We need to ask ourselves: "What character should a Liverpool player posess? What are the core values?". We need to sign honest players with honest morals. Most of our players seem willing to win trophies but reluctant to put in the hard work it requires.

And having to listen to people suggesting Hiddink, Hitzfeld and even Scolari... well I don't even know where to start. One thing's clear tho, those people haven't learnt one thing the last decade. My view is the most important thing right not is to get a manager in who understands the sociology of football, i.e., a manager who understand and appreciate the value of establishing an identity on which future success can be built. ManU will probably suffer for years on end once Fergie retires, but God did they have plenty to cheer about while he was still in charge?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 14, 2010, 03:13:37 PM »
During Rafa's 6 years we had a 3 and a half month spell where we played to our absolute maximum. During that spell we beat ManU 4-1. Chosing that game as being representative for the level we played to under Rafa ain't just dishonest, it's incorrect. 

I wouldn't say we could narrow it down to a 3 and a half month spell...larger than that...we had been playing well in Europe for quite a while before the 3 and a half months...
..in Europe us getting to 2 CL finals, those momentous games against barca and Real...us becoming number one in Europe...
Agreed though that in the league we didnt have as many highlights...but that 3 and a half months did show what those players were capable of when we had belief, passion and trust in the manager...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 17, 2010, 09:52:04 PM »
West Ham on Saturday:

Liverpool FC's Fabio Aurelio could return against West Ham

Nov 17 2010

Liverpool FC defender Fabio Aurelio is in contention to return in this weekend’s Barclays Premier League clash against West Ham.

The Brazilian left-back stepped up his comeback from injury with a 75-minute run-out for the reserves on Tuesday night.

Aurelio has not played for the first team since August 26 due to Achilles and groin problems but has now declared himself fit.

The 31-year-old said: "I have been training well and I was in the squad for the Stoke game but didn’t make the bench. Hopefully I can play on Saturday.

"It has been frustrating not to play but I have been working hard and kept my confidence up."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/football-news/2010/11/17/liverpool-fc-s-fabio-aurelio-could-return-against-west-ham-55578-27670781/

Both left side positions should be up for grabs. Hopefully Fabio can brig some improvement to one of them.

Having won our last home game, against the team at the top, will there be any fall out if we disasterously lose to the team at the bottom in the next home game? Let's hope there's no reason for any.
We need to be let off the leash a bit and get a confidence boosting win and in some style too.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 17, 2010, 10:03:36 PM »
Gerrard hobbled off in the 82nd minute clutching his right hamstring. Must be a major doubt for Saturday. It was only a matter of time before he or Torres got injured. All that for a meaningless friendly against le Frogs which we lost 1-2.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 17, 2010, 10:13:49 PM »
Gerrard hobbled off in the 82nd minute clutching his right hamstring. Must be a major doubt for Saturday. It was only a matter of time before he or Torres got injured. All that for a meaningless friendly against le Frogs which we lost 1-2.

Meireles and Lucas centre mid, Aurelio on the left, move Maxi to where he should be, on the right. Step forward Pacheco to provide the bullets for your fellow countryman.

What exactly is the need for all these friendly dates, apart from money?

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 17, 2010, 11:10:49 PM »
That lineup sounds positive Tes but I doubt Roy will choose it. These dates are decided by FIFA/UEFA. It can only be for money-making opportunities. How on earch can the French turn around their dire WC performances in 4 months whereas we appear to go backwards albeit with a weakened team?

At least Fabio kept well away from umbrellas!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 17, 2010, 11:14:54 PM »
How on earch can the French turn around their dire WC performances in 4 months whereas we appear to go backwards albeit with a weakened team?

The person I was pushing to replace Rafa until he got the French job - Laurant Blanc.

I worry he'll end up as Taggart's replacement, or Taggart's replacement's replacement.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 17, 2010, 11:41:12 PM »
The person I was pushing to replace Rafa until he got the French job - Laurant Blanc.

I worry he'll end up as Taggart's replacement, or Taggart's replacement's replacement.

to be honest I think there is probably about 20 managers all eying Fergies job an thinking to themselves "its definitely my job when hes gone".

Maureen has been l*cking united holes for years now. What I found funny then is Fergie coming out saying in the last year to give the united job to David Moyes when hes gone. Moyes obviously would have never touted for it. I'd say that hurt the likes of Maureens ego. I'd even say the likes of Bruce, Hughes, Fat Sam all think they have a chance.